fingertipcrafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fingertipcrafts

cardmaking, scrapbooking, papercrafting

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Allotments and gardening

Go down 
+3
crafty girls
chrisdecember
Fairytips
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fairytips
Admin
Fairytips

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Allotments and gardening Empty
PostSubject: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 11:21 am

We really want an allotment, we're down on the waiting list.... but... we're number 40 on it (and that was the shortest waiting list, it would have been 120 on another).

We want to start growing potatoes, broccoli, peas, onions... we've just got a compost bin so we can start composting flower
Back to top Go down
http://fingertipcrafts.wordpress.com/
chrisdecember

chrisdecember

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 11:35 am

Just to give you a starter until you get to the top of the list. flower
You can grow spuds in a plastic dustbin you put some soil in to about half plant spuds then as they grow you earth up by ading moresoil its a good way of getting early new potatoes.
Try growing some veggies in amongst your flowers, we tend to to that as we don't have time for an allotment, good way of getting small amounts in succession.
You can get haning basket cherry Tomatoes look good with flowers in (Should have some spare plants when weve done ours). can grow spring onions insmall plant pots on a window sill you get early ones then others are in flower beds.
flowers can help keep veggie pests at bay. cat
Back to top Go down
crafty girls

crafty girls

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 12:04 pm

Will find out info for you fairytips, we have lots of empty plots so will have a chat with bloke in charge and get back to you, not going today though in this horrid weather!!
Back to top Go down
Fairytips
Admin
Fairytips

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 pm

Thank you, we're definitely chomping at the bit... like we don't have enough to do already Very Happy

It's so gloomy today, disappointed as it's a day off, maybe tomorrow'll be nice sunny

Thanks for the info Chrisdecember. We have a couple of tomato plants in the garden, and I have some herbs for the window sill, like the potato in bin idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
crafty girls

crafty girls

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 10:27 pm

Had a chat with chappie who runs our allotment, he said waiting list correct, but he said a lot of people take them on only to give them back soon after due to the hard work and commitment. One old guy has already given his up this weekend as he got bad knees!!
I didn't know there was such demand for them, the one next to me has been taken by a "very keen" bloke, we have yet to see any work done on it and apparently he has had it a few weeks!
Sorry to dissapoint you, but hopefully you wont be waiting too long. Will bring in some of my yellow beans when they grown for you to try Smile
Back to top Go down
Fairytips
Admin
Fairytips

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for trying Very Happy Someone on the other side of the city was saying how they have so many empty/neglected allotments, and someone's going to come in and check them over so they can go to those who actually want them, maybe more places should do that flower
Back to top Go down
crafty girls

crafty girls

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Totally agree with you, I think if they checked up they could probably cut the list by half at least. Will keep an eye on our plots and will get back to the council about them.
Back to top Go down
Fairytips
Admin
Fairytips

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Craftygirls Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shell-seeker

shell-seeker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 pm

on our alottments they do have probs as people rent them by the year..so its usually may/june alot come up as they are fed up with chasing for rent(due feb/april)...but they have recently got more stricter..though unfortunaltey some plots do get in a state before they re-rent it out,we are still trying to sort ours out...mind you it is nice to get down there esp evenings just to get away from it all..even if you are busy its nice to escape too.
Back to top Go down
crafty girls

crafty girls

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:40 pm

I love going to our allotment in the evening, we got some more potatoes, carrots, broad beans yesterday from ours, yum!!
Where's your allotment shell seeker??
Back to top Go down
shell-seeker

shell-seeker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 8:05 pm

OOHH we had some potoaotes off ours this week,ours is near the river so get quite waterlogged at times
Back to top Go down
matildasmum

matildasmum

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 1:59 pm

how about a rice crop then!! lol! SS

chell
x
Back to top Go down
https://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/matildasmum_bucket/?act
crafty girls

crafty girls

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:44 pm

We went to our allotment on Monday evening and when we moved some rubbish etc we disturbed an ants nest!! affraid affraid There were millions of em !! We poured some water around so they didn't run too far, then we put ant stuff on em to kill a few, no point in trying to get rid as its impossible, just keep em down a bit! Going back later for another look, plus my weeds at moment seem to be growing by the hour! Been eating my pod peas too!
Back to top Go down
Crafty Cat

Crafty Cat

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm

cat I hate ants, we seem to get quite a few - they seem to like the block paving and i keep finding little piles of sand where they have made homes under he bricks.
Back to top Go down
Dee Coopage

Dee Coopage

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi

I don't have an allotment but have a strawberry tub in my garden. I had my first strawberry which was lovely, however I haven't had any more as the dog keeps pinching them!! Evil or Very Mad

I also have a hanging basket with cherry tomatoes in (ha, dog can't reach!) the first one is ready so I've picked it and going to have it with my salad for tea! Smile
Back to top Go down
crafty girls

crafty girls

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Dc what a brill idea for hanging basket,I love the cherry tomatoes the best! We had to plant new strawbs this year as last year ours died in the floods, so we havent had too many off this year, we did however get some raspberrys which is amazing cos we pulled the plant up last year and didn't notice it had regrown! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Allotments and gardening   Allotments and gardening Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allotments and gardening
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
fingertipcrafts :: Village Hall :: Chatterings-
Jump to: